1 a flask for carrying water; used by soldiers or travelers
2 sells food and personal items to personnel at an institution or school or camp etc.
3 a restaurant outside; often for soldiers or policemen [syn: mobile canteen]
4 a recreation room in an institution
5 restaurant in a factory; where workers can eat
- a UK /ˈkæntɪin/, /"k
Canteen has several different meanings:
- Canteen, a water container
- Canteen (place), a private cafe, restaurant, or cafeteria at a school, office, or military base. (More common in UK English than American English)
- Canteen (cutlery), a collection of cutlery
- CanTeen, an Australasian national support organisation for young people living with cancer.
- railroad water tender
- cantina, similar in etymology
canteen in French: Cantine
canteen in Simple English: Cantine
PX, automat, beanery, bistro, buffet, buvette, cafe, cafeteria, calabash, cantina, carafe, carboy, caster, chophouse, chuck wagon, coffee shop, coffeehouse, coffeeroom, commissary, cookhouse, cookshack, cookshop, cruet, cruse, decanter, demijohn, diner, dining hall, dining room, dog wagon, drive-in, drive-in restaurant, eatery, eating house, ewer, fast-food chain, fifth, flacon, flagon, flask, flasket, gourd, grill, grillroom, hamburger stand, hash house, hashery, hipflask, hot-dog stand, hot-water bottle, jar, jeroboam, jug, kitchen, lota, lunch counter, lunch wagon, luncheonette, lunchroom, magnum, mess hall, mussuk, olla, phial, pizzeria, post exchange, quick-lunch counter, restaurant, smorgasbord, snack bar, stoup, tavern, tearoom, trattoria